There were 29 charter members of the original church, bearing local names that are still familiar today: Philbrick, Weeks, Foss, Cate, Sherburne among them. These parishioners invited their first pastor, Rev. William Allen, to Greenland and he was ordained on July 15, 1707. A graduate of Harvard College, he dedicated his life to ministry in Greenland and served until his death in 1760 at the age of 84. During his tenure, he baptized 1,092 men, women and children!
The current building was erected in the summer of 1756 under the direction of eight men who labored to ensure that the 60’ x 42’ foot structure would last for many years. Though the building has undergone several major renovations through the years, the basic structure has stood the test of time and still remains on its stone foundation with dirt floor basement.